- Never use a screwdriver as a cold chisel, or for prying, punching, chiseling, scoring or scraping.
- Ensure that the tip fits the slot of the screw. If you use a screwdriver that is too large, you may damage the slot in the screw.
- Use a long-shanked screwdriver only for jobs in hard-to-reach places. For regular jobs, choose a short shank or 'stubby' screwdriver, as these will add extra strength.
- Choose screwdrivers which are slightly magnetised. These help to prevent slipping.
- Discard a screwdriver with a worn or broken handle or a chipped or worn tip.
- Never depend on a screwdriver handle or covered blade to insulate you from electricity. Switch off all appliances first before dismantling. When using a mains tester, test it on an item with less than mains voltage first to see if the insulation is secure.
All About Screwdrivers
Published in Hand & Power Tools